Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The one

Three entries in two days. You can tell I’ve got too much time in my hands. :) My works piling up, got to do something about it before the week ends or I’ll be dead next week. The only work-related thing I did today was entertain a potential Indian delegate over the phone. She’s asking me regarding our event on September 2007! Di ka naman excited? So after that, since I am procrastinating, I used my morning just doing 5S. My little haven in this office is so organized now, with the trash bin beside me overflowing with outdated papers. Trust me, for Virgos, that’s orgasmic. ‘nuff about that.

One of my best friends is getting married early next year. Wow. Time flies so fast. I’m just so darn happy that she’d finally made up her mind. She sorta had this crisis a few months before she got engaged. She’d been committed to her boyfriend for X years now and there came a point when she doubted her love for him. What if, he’s not the one? What if someone out there is way so much better than him? What if she’s been committed too darn long to him that she’d missed the opportunity of meeting other better fishes in the ocean?

De-ja-vu. I had a similar kind of conversation with my boyfriend last week. You see the girlfriend for more than 5 years of our barkada just broke up with him. My best friend commented that perhaps the girl missed the life of being single. Missed being single? But they’re not even married yet, so what’s the deal? Isn't she technically single? Sorry, I don’t get it.

So boyfriend enlightened the confused me, “…blah..blah..na hindi na siya pwedeng tumingin sa iba?” “Huh? Why not?” “Bakit, pwede pa ba?” “Look, yun opportunity nya tumingin sa iba eh kapareho lang ng opportunity ng mga ‘single’ na tao na tumingin sa iba. Pero di ba nga, sa dinami-dami ng mga nakikita niya, she preferred him. Pinili niya siya. Pwede siya magbago ng isip. Pwede siya makaranas ng ‘change of heart’. Pero while hindi nangyayari yun, she sticked with him hindi dahil sa wala na siyang choice. Kundi sa marami niyang choices ay siya ang pinili niya na mahalin.” Getting in a relationship is not a prison. If you think you’re in one, then get out of it because no one has the authority to take away your right to choose. I am not saying that cheating is ok. (Of course it is fucking NOT ok!) I’m just saying that relationships are amazing because you know that your partner can choose anybody s/he wants at any given moment and yet s/he is choosing to be in love with you.

How about finding someone better issue? Put it this way. There is no hierarchy. No levels. A is not equal, nor higher, nor lower than B. They are simply two different persons. There is no way you can compare them, therefore, one cannot be better or worse than the other. There is just one question that you need to ask to weigh if s/he’s the one for you: Mahal mo ba siya?

Go on, ask me. So I can quote my friend's now-ex-girlfriend: My answer is a loud, resonating “Oo”. Tapos ang usapan.
Posted by chillybean at 4:34 PM |  
Labels: ,

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)