Prodigal
I missed Him. I missed those times when no day will pass without me talking to Him. Telling Him stories like He’s my most attentive roommate. Rain or shine, I’d pay Him a visit in one of my most favorite place on Earth along Katipunan, below the flyover. Or in my other refuge in front of UP Infirmary. When my father was fighting for dear life inside Medical City’s ICU, my mother and brothers were crying our eyes out, begging Him to help us face those moments. He never failed us. The experience actually brought us closer to Him more than ever.
But I don’t know what happened since then. I just woke up one morning feeling like I had drifted myself apart from Him. Like I felt being a rebel. But without a cause. I didn’t recognize Him anymore. I have forgotten. How to talk to Him. How it feels like to be close to Him. How to love Him.
He paid us a visit a few days ago and I felt like He’s a stranger. It’s shameful. I never said a single word to Him. It felt like seeing an ex-best friend after you’ve had a falling out. I wanted to tell Him I’ve missed Him. But I was too ashamed of myself, words just didn’t come out.
Back to the above-mentioned email. After reading it, I immediately realized that I will always have a place in His heart. Then I'd suddenly felt the intense urge to tell Him that I very much want to invite Him in mine again. I wish to bring back the closeness. The friendship. The love. I wish to learn how to go back to how things were like between us. I wish to invite Him over for Christmas. To let Him know that even during our falling out moments, I still look forward to His birthdays. That in my heart, I always wish He’s happy. If only I knew how to start over.
